How La Senza measures up


A little while ago, La Senza sent me some freebies to review. Unfortunately the sizes came up smaller than my Debenhams-clad assets were used to so they weren't quite right. Luckily, I was able to exchange in store, so I went into my local La Senza and had a look. I was a tad apprehensive about this potential review, as I didn't have a La Senza in my town until recently so I didn't really know much the brand. And to be frank, with Chantelle Houghton (the face of their campaign) doing the grand opening of the store, I wasn't sure I wanted to...

I was glad I hadn't written it off, because when I went in, there were some rather lovely offerings. Yes, there were diamantes and 'triple gel pads' aplenty. But to my surprise there were also truly gorgeous vintagey sets and cute girly styles too. I think the advertising strategy has been a bit misleading, as the store seems to have so much to offer normal, stylish girls, not just the WAGettes it seems to target. I picked out some styles I liked from the DD+ section and headed to the Fitting Room...

Sizing did prove to be a bit of an issue. The assumption seemed to be that if you were big in the cup, you'd be wide too, so the straps kept sitting on the very edge of my shoulders - not great for supporting a heavy load! But the friendly assistant helped me try out various styles and sizes until I found something that worked. I found balconette styles worked best, as the straps are naturally a bit closer than the other styles I tried. I personally find this style of bra best for support anyway. I doubt sizing will be an issue for those with a smaller bust, but those with a fuller bust and slim build may need to dedicate some extra time to finding the right fit.



(Spotty one, Silk buttoned one, Leopard one)

I'm not entirely sure the bras I chose are quite as supportive as my Debenhams ones, but I have to say they are more stylish. Any regular Twitter readers may recall Alex condemning my last bra choices from there as 'a bit tragic'! I haven't heard a negative word said about these newbies! So it is a slight trade-off, but I just love the fun and retro styles of these bras so much I don't mind. They are certainly supportive enough, and if that means leaving my 'tragic chic' days behind, I'm all for it!

Pricing is fair enough, averaging at £20-25 for bras and £6-10 for briefs. I don't know about the thongs because I choose to pretend they don't exist!

So all in all, I am very pleased with my new additions and have learnt my lesson not to judge a book by its cover. Anyway, it looks like the cover could be changing - I have just seen their clever christmas viral ad, and it certainly seems the brand are aiming for an image that's more boudoir than brothel. Good move, La Senza! You have my full support! I'm sure there's a pun in there somewhere...



Have you tried La Senza bras? How did you get on?

0 comments:

Post a Comment