Bloggers Forum: Is Your Twitter Avatar Turning People Away?


If you're a Twitter user, answer these questions:
1) Do you ever scroll your Twitter Feed looking solely at avatars?
2) Do you find yourself stopping at certain avatars because you recognize them as someone you enjoy following?
3) Do you find yourself drawn to certain avatars over others?

The typical Twitter user would answer "Yes" to all of the above.  So the question must be asked...what does your Twitter avatar say to the thousands (millions?) of people who view it?   

As a relatively new member of the Twitter community, I wanted to know more so I did some research.  Now I am sharing my research with you!  Remember...I am a nerd.  Not to be confused with a dork.  To clarify this distinction, I have provided a nerdy diagram:
 
  
5 Quick Tips to Create a Better Twitter Avatar:

1) Show Us Your Face!
According to All Twitter, statistics show that Twitter users prefer to see a regular, straightforward snapshot of your face.  And only your face. 

A couple tips:
- Don't frown in your photo.  Frowny faces suck the energy out of the room.  Don't be an energy-sucker.
- Keep it to a blank, one color background.  Use an unusual color for a unexpected pop!  Just make sure your image is in stark contrast with the background.

The one exception to the "face rule" would be if you are a company or an organization with a recognizable logo.

2) Be Unique!

 
Just don't be boring.  If you have to borrow a monkey to make this happen...do it.

3) Sorry Guys...Size Matters
Get your mind out of the gutter ladies...we're talking about the size of your photo of course!  Sure Twitter shrinks it down to the size of a penny, however you'll want to download a JPG or PNG image that pushes the 700KB limit.  If someone clicks on your profile, you want your enlarged image to be clear (try it out on your existing avatar to make sure you aren't putting forth a Picasso-version of your face out to the world).  

4) Animation = Lame Sauce
Animation may seem cute to some, but it's annoying to the majority.  Just don't do it.  For many, it's an instant delete if seen in their feed.

5)  Stick With It
Think of your Twitter avatar as your personal logo.  You'll want followers to immediately recognize your image in their feeds...which is challenging and frustrating if you are always changing it!  Find the one that works well and keep it for a while.  Also consider using it as your "logo" for Facebook, Google+, your blog, etc.

So you might be thinking, "Great post Marion...you must think your avatar is rocking!"  Umm, not so much!  You see, I do this research because I want to improve upon my current practice.  I have a long ways to go as you can see from my current Twitter Avatar:


Ugh.  I can't stand this photo and  obviously need to take my own advice above and make some changes.  I'll be curious to hear what you all think of my new avatar (coming soon!)

So what do you think of your current Twitter avatar? 
Do you already follow these rules?

XO - Marion

PS - Follow me on Twitter HERE!

Citations and additional resources:

0 comments:

Post a Comment