Tuesday tip: Kitchen Cosmetics


This week I want to talk to you in great detail about periods.


... Not really. I wrote that to scare Alex away if he happens to read this post. Sadly, I share my life with a kitchen nazi that doesn't understand that raiding the kitchen cupboards for beauty purposes is not 'a waste'! So if he reads this, I'm in trouble! :)

So for this new TuezTipz series, I'll be experimenting with cheap beauty treatments from our very own kitchens. This week, I tried out the gazillion uses for Olive Oil!



After some googling around, I discovered that Olive Oil has a wealth of beauty uses.

Here are a few of the ones I tried over the last week...

On the face: Olive Oil is great for unclogging pores. It can be used as a face mask if you put some oil on your skin and cover with a hot flannel for 15 minutes. But I couldn't find a flannel so I tried a scrub instead! I put some olive oil onto my face and then rubbed some sugar into the oil. It makes quite a rough scrub so don't use too much, if you try this. After a little scrub, I rinsed off the sugar and washed my face with a facial cleanser to get rid of most of the oil. The end result was astonishingly soft skin, which was moisturised without feeling greasy. I'd definitely do this again.

Lip scrub: Same as above, without using a cleanser at the end. After using the scrub, my lips felt so soft, and were really moisturised once I'd dried them too. Olive oil makes for a great nourishing lip balm, so this killed two birds with one stone. I'll definitely do this again if I'm planning to wear lipstick, to ensure my lips are smooth.

Hand scrub: Same as above, but you can afford to be a little rougher than on your face. This was really fun to do and felt quite ticklish! The end result was super smooth hands which stayed moisturised long after scrubbing. You must try this one! It's a giggle!

Nail strengthener: I dipped my hands into a cup of Olive Oil for half an hour to try and revive my flaky brittle nails. All of the products I use to strengthen them are just painted on, so it was nice to feel like I was trying to treat the nails themselves rather than painting over the problem. I can't say whether or not it definitely worked, but my nails looked really healthy and shiny for days afterwards. It's not a quick fix like strengthening nail varnish, but would be good to use weekly as more of a long term investment into your nail health!

Foot moisturiser: Alex's mum bought me some moisturising socks the other week so I tried them with some olive oil. The result was great, all of the oil had sunk in by morning time and my feet felt naturally soft and lovely. It didn't obliterate all of my hard skin, but definitely improved the dry patches. I guess I could do a sugar scrub, but knowing my ticklish feet, it could be a recipe for disaster! Let me know if you try a foot scrub!

General moisturiser: I've rubbed some into my elbows and upper arms, and think it works well as a moisturiser. I've read it's good for eczema, too, if that's of any use to y'all!

Future oil projects:

Hair: You'd think putting oil on your hair would make it super greasy, but I've read otherwise. As I said, it's a natural de-clogger, so if you've got thin hair like me, it's apparently great for dissolving any build up blocking the hair follicles, leading to possibly thicker hair. You have to whack it on and leave it overnight. It also treats flaky scalps and makes your hair moisturised, shiny and generally healthy. I really must get round to trying this!! Let me know if you do or have!

One I won't try again:

Eye makeup remover: I read that olive oil dissolved makeup easily, even the dreaded waterproof mascara. I tried it on one of my eyes just a while ago and it was quite a struggle. It definitely didn't remove all of the makeup and my eye is actually stinging a bit now!

Verdict:

I love it! Olive Oil is really good for an off-the-cuff pampering session. I am surprised at the results I got from something that's been lurking in my kitchen for ages! I'm going to decant some into a little pot and start using it on my hands and lips more often. I'm just the sort of sucker that would fall for an expensive hand or lip scrub in Boots, so I'm so pleased I've found a chemical free, bargainous alternative!

Let me know if you try any of the oily tips! And do let me know of any Kitchen Cosmetic ideas you might have!

x

PS - I'VE BEEN RUMBLED!! Alex saw what I was typing... He said 'I've got a tip for Olive Oil. COOKING'! Cheeky sod!

0 comments:

Post a Comment