Tuesday tip: Staying safe on holiday!


Hola Senors y Senoritas!! ♥

Am having a lovely time here in Madrid. We've come back to the hotel for a Siesta, or in my case, a quick blogging sesh!

It's really lovely here, and hot hot hot! My first proper tan since I was a teen is coming along slowly but surely. My face isn't playing ball at all, though, and I'm very much channelling Rudolphio dos Rednose Reindeeros as they say here in Spain (Well, I just made that up, but it actually sounds quite plausible!) We've had quite a touristy day today. We did the open top bus tour and saw lots of gorgeous buildings and gardens (and a few Lidl's too, which made me feel at home!) There's another route on the bus tour we're going to do this evening. I've always thought bus tours looked super cheesy, but if you're in a new city, it's a great way to see the sights without wearing yourself out or getting lost. You can just sit on your bum, enjoy the breeze, get a lovely tan and learn about the city!

So, it's a bit of an ad hoc Tues tip, but today I'm sharing some tips we've been implementing here to keep safe in unknown territory.

1) Keep your cash and valuables in a cross-body bag or bumbag

Here's what I wore today, with my money and cam in a titchy bag, and all the other pointless crap I haul around in a tote bag. This is a pretty obvious tip to keep your important belongings un-snatchable, but worth remembering.



1b) An extra tip for the boyfriend owners

I forgot to get a picture of this one, but for extra security, hold your boyfriend's hand with your junk-bag in between the two of you. That way you are much more snatch-proof, as your belongings are harder to reach!

2) Don't look at maps in public places.

Or at least be discreet about it. Wandering around with your face in a map lets the baddies know you're not local, and are therefore more vulnerable to whatever wrongdoing they've got up their sleeves. Don't make yourself an easy target!

3) Look a bit angry.

Alex & I have had great success with this one. If we're walking past some dodgy looking people, we'll look a bit angry and unapproachable. Our 'don't eff with us' vibes seem to work!

3b) This can also be adapted for avoiding charity workers in your local high street. If you're walking along with a friend or boyf and don't want to be badgered, pretend to be having a row and they leave you alone. Alex introduced me to this one, and it really works wonders!

I'm off for a little snooze now, so Adios Amigos!

0 comments:

Post a Comment