Motherless Moms


She died 7 days before my 16th birthday.

It took about a year before it truly sank in that she was really gone.  Forever.  I was in the shower washing my hair and an overwhelming wave of despair and desperation washed over me.  I remember falling to my knees and just sobbing violently...it was the first time I really let myself fall apart.  Or maybe it’s not right to say “I let myself” because I didn’t really have a choice.  My mind, body and heart had reached capacity and something took over me.

It wasn’t until the water turned ice cold that I was brought back to reality.  I turned off the water and stepped out of the shower a different person than when I had stepped in.  It took a year…but I had begun to acknowledge that my mom was dead.
Read more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment