Shrove Tuesday tips: Kitchen Cosmetics

Happy pancake day!! 

In the spirit of Shrove Tuesday, today's tips are dedicated to the only pancake topping for me. Lemon and Sugar. Use your leftover lemons (or bottled lemon juice like moi) to try out some of these cheapie, natural beauty ideas! 


Lemon and sugar have a multitude of beauty uses. Sugar is great for exfoliating and softening, and the acidity of lemons make them perfect for cutting through grease to remove impurities as well as lightening skin discolouration. 


Here's what all the cool kids are doing with lemons and sugar: 


Face scrub - Lemon juice and sugar makes an amazing natural facial exfoliator. I've used this myself in the past, but I found this bizarre video tutorial on Youtube for it that I'm going to credit just in case you need some lolz. It features quite literally the most annoying video editing I've ever seen, but actually gets quite educational towards the end. And if that lady's skin is an advert for this scrub, I will be doing it every week until I die! 

Just apply lemon juice and some sugar to a cotton pad and scrub away for a couple of minuten! The lemon helps the sugar to remove dead skin and leaves your skin crazily soft! Apply lots of moisturiser afterwards.


Body scrub - Same as above, but on a grander scale! It's probably best to premix the lemon and sugar in a bowl before you hop in the shower in this scenario, rather than use cotton pads! Apparently this can be quite effective in smoothing fading the appearance of Keratosis Pilaris (dreaded chicken skin on the arms/bod) so I will be trying it out on my bingo wings stat. This scrub is apparently also a dream at removing fake tan if you've gone a bit orange! Can't vouch for that one, as I'm as pasty as they come. (Credit)


Lip scrub - As above! Apply lots of lip balm after! Bored of scrubs? Let's move on. 


Nail Whitener - If you've forgotten (or can't be arsed) to use a basecoat before painting nail and have unsightly yellow tinged nails, soak them in lemon juice for 5 minutes for gleaming white nails! 


Ombre hair in Summer - Lemon juice works like that Sun In stuff that I applied to my hair every day for a week to try and bleach it when I was 13 (it turned a sickly orange colour...) Apply lemon juice to the hair in strands (for highlights) or on the ends (for an ombre effect) and get out in the sunshine for a while. The UV Rays will react with the lemon and lighten the hair. 


Shiny hair - Mixing the juice of 1 lemon (Or a long squirt from the bottle of lemon juice!) with 2 cups of water and rinsing through your hair after washing it will make it shine and remove excess oils. Rinse it off after about 5 minutes. (Credit)


Unshiny skin - Wipe some onto your face with a cotton pad and rinse after 5 minutes to reduce oily skin. This also fades the appearance of age spots, uneven skin tone and freckles if used regularly. (Credit)

I'm off to feast on Aunt Bessie's pancakes. Let me know if you try any of these tips and if they work for you!

Have you got any tips from the kitchen cupboard to share? 

Also, what are you guys giving up for lent (if anything?) I'm thinking of giving up sugary stuff. Besides my coffee. I need 3 sugars at least to be able to swallow that stuff!



Ps - here's the first instalment of Kitchen Cosmetics! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment