One Thing You Should Do Today...


I'll never forget it.

Several years ago, I was dragged out by some friends to attend an opera.  I say "dragged out" because I was going through a particularly rough time in my life and just wanted to stay home with my dog and a generous pour of pinot.  It was during intermission and I was in the ladies restroom washing my hands. I looked up and a kind-looking woman was looking at me in the mirror.  I smiled a little awkwardly at her and she immediately commented, "Oh my!  Your teeth are so white.  You are quite beautiful you know?!"

And at that moment, I gave her what felt like my first genuine smile in weeks.  

Now she could have been a little crazy in the head, suffered from horrible vision problems and perhaps was a tad too kind...but the point is...I didn't care.  Without knowing it, she gifted me with a moment of happiness.  I blushed, told her thank you and walked out of that restroom holding my head just a teeny bit higher than when I entered.

This complete stranger taught me to spread the joy.  At least once a day, I try to give a compliment that has a little thought behind it.  Oftentimes it is directed to a child I pass in the hall who spent a little extra time on her hair that morning.  Or the teacher who is wearing a kitten heel in place of her usual crocs and socks uniform.

Although there is a little human psychology that goes into a truly great compliment, resist the urge to over think it.  The best compliments are of the spontaneous + heartfelt variety :)
 


So this is just a little public service announcement: Give a compliment to at least one person today.  Maybe it's your co-worker, your husband, or a complete stranger in a public restroom.  You just never know...they may think back on that moment several years later and smile.

xo - Marion

Can't wait to see everyone's Boots + Booties style for tomorrow's "Trend of the Month Link-up!"  Click HERE for details!

image credit: James Nord

0 comments:

Post a Comment