Does Humor Have a Place in Fashion Blogging?

You guys, I am SO excited to be guest posting for Marion! My name is Molly and I blog over at still being [molly] - my blog is a fashion and lifestyle blog so I share my outfits, bits and pieces of my life, recipes and DIYs I love... pretty much you name it.

  still being molly: Oasap Collarless Leather Jacket, JCrew Shorts, sheer OVI fuschia blouse, glitter flats, and pink clutch

Marion is one of my absolute FAVORITE bloggers - she's hilarious, she has amazing style, and she's SO sweet. So I was floored when she asked me to share a little something with y'all today. I am SO EXCITED to "meet" her little baby! Can we all agree that he is going to be one stylish baby?

Amiright?! Anyway. I'm here to share a little bit about HUMOR in blogging. What? I know. You know, one of the things I love about Marion is how hilarious she is. And while I don't "set out" to be hilarious in my writing (you know, it just comes naturally) there are some things that I think really "help" if you're wanting to make people laugh when you write.

 While I have a history and a background in comedy (I've performed sketch and improvisational comedy for over 10 years) you don't have to be a trained comedian to make people laugh. Heck, some of the funniest people I know have never set foot on a stage, let alone take any sort of "funny class." The biggest thing is: BE YOURSELF.

still being molly: jcrew classic black dress, white bubble necklace, black pumps, Oasap shoulder bag

 Even though I had a short stint as a high school English teacher and I am a little nutty about grammar and composition - the way I write on my blog would make the formal writer in me cringe. And I totally don't care. I write how I speak. Likes, and pauses, and ...s and, you knows, and you guys' and all. I'm a stream of consciousness writer. I want readers to get to know ME for ME. People tell me all the time when they meet me in person they say, "Oh, I totally HEAR you when I read your blog." That's AWESOME. I love that.

Now, I can pretty much guarantee 99% of people reading my blog don't care if they're reading a run-on, quasi-nonsensical sentence nor do they care about syntax or dipthongs. They want to read something they can connect with and/or something that will make them laugh. Okay, I had to find a way to throw the word dipthong in there. That word is hilarious. I don't care who you are. I mean, when have YOU, yourself, ever read a blog post and thought to yourself, "Oh dear, this blogger's syntax is abismal." Never. And if you have thought that, drink some prune juice and let that ish go. It's not that serious. But in all seriousness, it's your blog and you should feel free to write how and what you want. Now, you should check your spelling. For everyone's sake.

  Lace Dress in the Fall - Lace dress, black bubble necklace, leather Oasap Jacket, black tights, and black wedges

 The second thing I can tell you is to BE VULNERABLE. Deep down inside, ALL OF US are vulnerable. Share some of your embarrassing moments. Tell a funny story from your past. Speak from your heart and your readers will genuflect. Just kidding, they won't do that. But they will appreciate it. I mean, one time (like almost four years ago) I wrote an entire blog post about a time I "mom'ed" my Chipotle burrito. Yeah, I know. And then recently, I shared a story about how I beat up my teacher when I was in preschool. Yeah, I know. That also happened. And even though those stories are weird and quirky - they're all true and I'm being a little vulnerable putting myself out there like that.

 And lastly, imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? Well, think of some of the writers you love that make YOU laugh. Think about this: What about their writing makes you laugh? What is funny to you about their writing? And see if you can identify maybe a "special sauce," if you will, that makes you laugh when you read their stuff. And try some of those techniques out in your next blog post. I'm not saying plagiarize, I'm saying learn from others. Maybe they use hilarious words (dipthong, anyone?). Maybe it's their sentence structure. Maybe it's their personality shining through. Maybe it's because they use hilarious pictures of corgi puppies in every post. What? I don't know. But in all seriousness, try it. See if you can turn around and make it YOU... make it YOURS.

  still being molly: Fall Outfit - LOFT denim jacket, Madewell plaid shirt over a J.Crew chambray shirt and pearls

Anyway. I wish there was one thing that was like THE formula for being hilarious, but sadly, there's not. So until there is, I'll be over here in a corner drinking Diet Coke and eating Fun Dip while I write. You know, they keep me going. HA! Just kidding.

Thank you SO much Marion for having me today! Enjoy every moment with your little one. :) And be sure and stop by my blog sometime. I swear I'm only weird 96% of the time.

_____________________________________

Thanks so much Molly for sharing a little bit of your fabulous self with us today!  

I love Molly for several reasons...she just has one of those authentic personalities that shines through in her blog and she makes me smile.  She is the opposite of fake...which is surprisingly rare to find!

So what do YOU think...is there room for humor in fashion blogging? 
Or maybe it seems out of place to you?  

xo - Marion

0 comments:

Post a Comment