Challenge of the Week: Mixing Plaid and Stripes

Do you think outside-the-box every time you step foot inside your closet?  We all want to be somewhat fashion-forward, but too often we stay inside our comfort bubble and play it safe when it comes to our wardrobe choices.   


So I have decided to face this issue head-on!  


Every week, I'll put forth one challenge that will force me to try something different...something outside my basic comfort zone of fashion.


Week #1 Challenge: Mix Plaid with Stripes (I know, I know...you're sitting there thinking "She's going to mix plaid with stripes?  She can't be serious.  That Marion is cr-a-a-zy!")



Gray Skinny Jeans - Paige Denim (Nordstrom)
Boots - Frye Boots 
Striped Shirt - Testament from Nordstrom (lots of great options here)
Blue Plaid Shirt - American Eagle (similar here in yellow)
Brown Bag - Vera Bradley
Scarf - Old Navy
Sunglasses - Ray-Ban
Tips for mixing Plaids + Stripes:
- Keep other colors and patterns to a minimum.  Adding more will just look messy.
- Consider adding a 2nd pattern using an accessory such as a scarf.  This will allow you to add the interest and playfulness of a 2nd pattern without committing to a large statement-piece.
- Let one piece "speak louder" than the other piece.  In this outfit, I let the blue plaid have more of a voice then the striped shirt.  I then tried to pull the look together using a skinny scarf.  

Do you have any ideas for my next challenge??!  Leave your ideas in the comments below! :-)

XO - Marion

0 comments:

Post a Comment