dizzy with sunstroke

I've been spending a lot of the last week in Bexhill catching up with Alex's family and my own. We used to live there when we first got together and it's such a sleepy town that it drove us slowly mad and we were gagging to escape to city life in Canterbury. After a few years of living here, we're pretty much over the crazy-busy streets and extortionate rent/bars/shops. 

After some time on the other side of the fence, we can appreciate what a lovely little place Bexhill is, and are even hoping to move back there later this year to save some money before hopefully buying a place in Brighton! Summer in a city like Canterbury is just rubbish... Now I'm all growed up, I've realised that the few things I need to be happy are sunshine, a beach on which to enjoy it and an absolute plethora of charity shops - all of which Bexhill has in spades!

I met this cute little chap, Maxy, on the train. His owner was a little old lady on a long trip to Chichester. I helped her with her suitcase when we had to change at Ashford! Love how he's smiling for the camera in this picture :)


OMG - so, there was recently an incredible Andy Warhol exhibition at the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill (featuring the original screen print he used to make his infamous Marilyn print). We were walking past the Pavilion when a maintenance guy (we assume) was oiling the hinges of some big (and usually locked) windows that a couple of posters were in... Me being me, I asked if we could have one, he said yes and gave us all three that remained! Two of the Marilyn ones, and one Chairman Mao. SCORE! We're getting these babies framed as we speak! 


A couple of photos of the view from the De La Warr:



A couple of shots of my low key outfits, taken on the roof of the Pavilion on different days (Alex's parents live right opposite, so we often go there for a mooch!) 

Hat, jeans, glasses - Topshop. Boots, bag, shirt, jacket - charity shop! 

(tote - Topshop, tee - Gap, leggings - Monki, shoes - charity shop)

You may have noticed some cool additions to the footwear department in these pics. Well, I have been having an absolute RIOT in the famous Bexhill charity shops, which have been mentioned on this blog many times before. Here are my latest purchases (click to enlarge!)




Velvet lace-ups £5, navy bow mini-heels - £2, AMAZING BROWN CHELSEA BOOTS for £2 that I've been harping on about on Twitter (quite rightly), an adorable new bag for my camera - £1.30, a crazy squirrel sweater with built-in collar - £3, and I didn't buy these, but there were 3 pots of Mac Pigment in the YMCA for 99p each! Clueless pricing is my absolute fave.

Other fun things I've been doing include taking Alex's parents to the Odeon 'Senior Screen' - if you haven't heard of this you MUST listen to me very carefully right now. Every week at most Odeons, they have a film screening in the morning of a recent movie and it costs £3 for a ticket (for ALL, not just seniors, and if you're lucky enough for your local Senior Screen to fall on a Wednesday, you get Orange Wednesday discount too!) and you get free tea/coffee and biscuits too - AMAZING! I think it's quite a little-known secret, because Alex and I were seemingly the only under 35's in the room! 

We saw My Week With Marilyn and we all adored it. 



I headed over to Brighton on Tuesday evening for dinner and drinks with my homegirl, Danielle! 



Yeah, I bought a Smirnoff Ice AND WHAT? It was cheaper than a mixer and to be quite honest, I happen to think they're pretty awesome.


We dined at the Gourmet Burger Kitchen, which I've never been to. It was glorious. The halloumi bites were incredible, and the cheese and bacon burger was delightful! 



The rest of my week off will include accompanying Alex and his parents to see Paul Merton tomorrow night in Eastbourne (I'm not really into live comedy but I'm told this guy is funny), more charity shop shopping in Bexhill on Saturday (why not?) and then seeing the Bootleg Beatles back here in Canterbury on Sunday, with Alex, his parents and my brother (Beatles fanboy numero uno). Should be good fun! 

If you've got this far, you really deserve a medal! 

I've kinda hogged the conversation, tell me what you've been up to? Any of you had any charity shop successes of your own lately? If so, do tell me what town it was in. I dream of hosting some kind of charity shopping blogger bus tour... Give me destination ideas! ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment