Tuesday Tip: DIY chalk hair colour!

I saw this fabulous idea over at The Beauty Department, a totally incredible blog that puts my limp attempts at creativity to shame! Appaz by using soft chalk pastels on damp hair  and then using a straightener to seal in the colour, you can create temporary dip dye and streaks! Full instructions over at The Beauty Department


(images from The Beauty Department)

My hair is not made for this tutorial as it is short and black, but I thought I'd have a stab at it anyway to see how it turned out! I looked for pastels in WH Smith but they were like £8, so I flounced off to The Works and got some for £3.99. It took a few tries to get the the hang of it, by which time my hair was a frizzy dry mess from all the straightening and brushing... so by the time I had got the hang of the technique, it did just look as if I had chalk in my hair. Not dye. 

During:


After:

I think this would work perfectly well on those with lighter hair, but I don't think it's impossible to get the look on black hair. In the future, I will do it on clean hair, get it right first time now I know how to do it, and consider buying more posh and pigmented chalks (I think art stores sell them individually, so no need for a pricey WH Smith bulk buy). 

What do you think of this idea? If you've tried it, do you have any tips or techniques to share? 



0 comments:

Post a Comment